Monday, October 28, 2013

Calling in the big wigs

If you would have asked me 10 years ago whether I'd do IVF, I would have given you a definite, "no". However, here we sit, one failed fresh and one failed frozen, and only little frozen guy left...

So, what do you do then? Call CC.RM. The best of the best. The people who have the answers when no one else has a clue what is going wrong.

Today was our phone consult. I LOVED the doctor we picked. After carefully reading the bios online, I decided on Dr. Surry. Truly, I knew it was going to be between two doctors, but Dr. Surry's bio mentioned endo, making the decision easier.

From the moment he called, he made the hubs and I feel like he really wanted to help. He listened and offered tests we hadn't done yet, which was the point of this consult in the first place.

He clearly thinks that my endo is causing implantation issues. We had 4 high grade embryos. None implanted. There is a biopsy that can be done, but his idea was to forgo the biopsy and just treat me like the protein that should be there isn't because I have high grade endo. One less test? Ok!

Of course, he mentioned testing the hubs' sperm with a different test than he's had done and this was something our RE here mentioned doing, as well. So, I think we'll go ahead with that, too. There is a possibility of not having any good embryos and that being the cause of the implantation failure, so he obviously recommended testing of our embryos.

In my mind, I just saw dollar signs adding up. I was pretty sure that the hubs was seeing the same thing. I'm not sure we'll do IVF with them right away, but we need to do the newer tests.

We decided to at least go through with the ODWU (one day work up) at ccrm and go from there. We just really want answers darn it. And, Dr. Surrey said that clearly something is being missed or is going wrong , but he said that after 10 years, something should be happening. He is hopeful because we haven't been trying aggressively for 10 years, so we haven't run out of options. That made us happy. He did recommend being pretty aggressive from here on out because, even though we're young-ish, I'm a hot endo mess!

Overall, it was a great meeting and I'm so freaking happy that this place exists. There is one more place in the world that might give us answers. Ten years ago, I'd have though you were completely nuts if you'd have told me I'd be going to the top place in the country to try and have a baby. But, I am so thankful that it is an option.

No comments:

Post a Comment