Monday, August 5, 2013

Back to school, back to school...

And, just like that, Summer is basically over. Poo. I'm starting to get excited to go back. It's not like this Summer was full of fun. I'm so thankful that I teach middle school and don't have to worry about cute bulletin boards! I bought some super cute fabric last year and used it for my bulletin board background. So, all I need to do is decide what I want to put up on them this year. Luckily, I have a student teacher!! Maybe I'll put him in charge of that part! If you haven't guessed: Middle School Teachers and Bulletin Boards don't get along!

About this student teacher...I have a feeling he's going to be a bit much! Let me start this rant by saying: I remember student teaching. I was soooo excited! But, we were also taught to respect our supervising teacher's time. I'm not thinking this kid got the same memo. He seems very kind and super excited, so for that I'm really happy! However, the poor kid seems to be a bit of a nervous mess. He's emailed me 3 times since last Tuesday. Slow down there buddy. He wants to meet before school, which I'm fine with. I'm having him meet me at school so I can show him around and put him to work in my room...teeheehee. But, 3 times in one week? He's lucky I check my school email during the Summer! Some teachers won't even discuss school in the Summer! I think he'll do great once we get him all calmed down. I'm sure my kids will LOVE having him in the room. They love the extra attention. Can ya blame them?!

Honestly, he comes from a great university and they have an all year internship program for student teachers, which I think is exactly what teachers need. He'll be in my room for 2-3 days all Fall and then all week doing his actual student teaching starting after Christmas break. You all might be saying, "Oh, how nice. You can just sit on your butt and let him teach." Oh, how I wish that's how it worked! I'm a bit too protective of my kiddos to let a newbie have complete freedom. I hold my student teachers to a pretty high standard, so they tend to get a bit stressed. But, it's good for them. What do they think will happen when they're all alone next year in their own classroom?! There's a method to my madness.

I've decided to take this one last week to myself and then go into my room next week. School starts on the 19th, so that gives me a week to get my room ready. Really, there's not a lot to do this year besides straighten things up and hang my new decorations. New décor = shopping. Shopping = Happy ME :)

No comments:

Post a Comment