Thursday, August 15, 2013

Chunky Chicken Broth

I am a picky about my chicken broth. Shortly after making the change to a whole food diet a couple of years ago, I learned how to make my own (which is stupid easy) and won't buy it ever again. So, with the Fall coming quickly and soup season upon us, I figured it was time to stock up on broth. While it's not difficult, it is time consuming. So, after making a whole chicken in a crockpot for dinner a couple of nights ago, I put all the chicken bones and other parts back in the crockpot, filled it to the top with water and set it on low overnight. It always smells like Thanksgiving in the morning. Yummy!

So, yesterday, I spent the day straining the broth and skimming the unwanted parts out of the broth. Again, not hard, just time consuming. This morning, I was ready to skim the fat off the top and I noticed a huge chunk of fat right under the surface. Odd. This had never happened before...so I gently scooped it out with my skimmer...to my horror, upon lifting the skimmer out of the broth, there was a tail. The object was heavy. So heavy. When did chickens get tails?  That's when I realized what was before me.

It wasn't a bone. As I squinted my eyes and looked closer, I felt a blood curdling scream rolling through my insides. Once the screaming began,  I couldn't get it to stop. Ayden was now concerned. It appeared to anyone not in the kitchen, that I'd cut a finger off or lost leg or was being attacked by a wild boar.

"A mouse!" I yelled through muddled words and tears. Oh. I can't even explain the horror. A mouse had committed suicide in my broth. I need to decontaminate my eyes so I can forget that horrible image!

No comments:

Post a Comment