Friday, April 6, 2012

The hubs made me :)

This lent, we decided to do a Family Fun Night every Friday night. We took turns picking movies, games, and other fun things to do to end our week. Today, being the last Friday of lent, we took a trip to the zoo. We had already decided to get a membership this year and I put the hubs in charge of buying it while I visited to ladies room. When I came out he whispered that he purchased it and since it would be good for an entire year, he told them it was for two children. :) Oh, how I hope he's right.

After we were done at the zoo, we headed to my favorite place on earth...Tar-jay. Just the smell of that place make me happy. Weird, I know. I was looking for a book to read for the ride home and came across those daily devotion books. Normally, I would have passed right by and headed toward my favorite genre, but I remembered what I was told during my session with the psychic. She said that, while I was very in tune with my mind (true), that I tend to over think everything as a result (very true). She said that I needed to work on the spiritual side of myself. Which was interesting because I'd already decided to let go and leave this cycle in God's hands.

Now, spirituality means something different to everyone, I realize this. I was raised in a strict Catholic home and spent my late teens and a lot of my 20's trying to reinvent what I'd been taught as a kid. However, now that I have a son, we are raising him as a  Catholic. Granted, it's no where near the way I was raised. My hubs isn't Catholic, so that help keeps me in check and not over-the-top like my dad was with us. But, what I've realized over the last few years is that being Catholic is part of my identity. I've been embracing it more as I get older. While I don't agree with every single thing (fertility treatments for one, obviously) I like the tradition taught in the church. So, this is where I consider my spirituality coming from.

As I looked at the devotional books, one stuck out more than the others because it had a picture of hot tea on the cover. Maybe it's coffee at second glance. Whatever. I liked the colors on the mug. Yep. That's why I picked it up. Before I opened the book, I told myself that I would only buy the book if today's devotion was in anyway applicable to my life today. If it wasn't, I wasn't wasting my money on it.

Here's what I read from Joel Osteen's, Your Best Live Begins Each Morning:

"The Key to the Promise: So Sarah laughed to herself as she thought, "After I am worn out and my master is old, will I now have this pleasure?" Genesis 18:12; It was nearly twenty years after God first spoke the promise to Abraham that he and his wife, Sarah, were going to have a child that Isaac was born. When Sarah heard the promise again, she and Abraham were close to one hundred years old, and she laughed. She probably said, "Abraham, that's impossible. I'm too old." Nevertheless, Sarah became pregnant. What changed? I'm convinced that the key to the promise's coming to pass was that Sarah had to believe it in her heart before she could become pregnant. And I believe the main reason Isaac wasn't born sooner was simply the fact that Sarah couldn't see it through her eyes of faith. Do you have a promise form God that is waiting for you to believe?"

Shocked, I placed the book in my cart.


No comments:

Post a Comment