Thursday, April 19, 2012

I Am A Face of Infertility

To look at me, healthy, active, and already having one child, I am not what many think of when they think of infertility. Secondary Infertility is, to me, a breed of its own. Some think I should just be happy with what I already have (and I am) while others think it's odd we only have one child.  In my opinion, it isn't their business. Or is it? Was I given this struggle to teach others about what infertility really does look like? Just because I have a child, hasn't eight years of struggling to conceive given me the right to call myself infertile? Because I am. Very infertile. Our son is somewhat of a medical mystery. The fact that I was even able to carry him proves to me beyond any doubt that there is indeed an amazing God looking after us all.

Next week is Infertility Awareness Week. It is my goal to be more open with my disease. So many women (myself at times) can be so embarrassed that we struggle with infertility, that we don't talk about it openly. For me, I don't want to talk about it with people that don't understand. But, would having their support really be such a bad thing? Maybe, but probably not. I mean, if I know someone is fighting cancer, I don't ignore them. I give them as much support as I can muster. They embrace the extra support.

So, this week, I'm coming out...then I'll try and embrace the support I get from others. Maybe it will even make the second half of my 2ww go faster :)

No comments:

Post a Comment