Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Books to Read if you're Considering Adoption

While we wait for word on our adoption situation, I have been preparing to bring a child home, specifically, one child...although the information will clearly be good for other children. Whatever.

If you are considering adoption, specifically older child adoption, I strongly recommend the book The Connected Child, by: Karyn Purvis. Obviously, I haven't been able to put any into practice with my own adopted child, but I can definitely see how I can even use some of the recommendations with some of my students.

The book explains why some kids have attachment, depression, anxiety, etc through out their lives, both before and after adoption, and then gives real-life examples of how to help the child through these issues. Karyn Purvis also has some YouTube videos that you can watch if that is more your style. Reading can be daunting. Your arms can get tired holding the Ipad...or Nook...or, heaven forbit, an actual hardback book.

No comments:

Post a Comment