Tuesday, June 25, 2013

PUPO!

I am PUPO! (Pregnant Until Proven Otherwise!) It was the most amazing experience ever. It started early in the morning because we are 1 1/2 hours from our RE's office. So, I had to pack up the meds I was supposed to take, along with bottles of water to guzzle, and my timeline for when to do those things and we were off!

The drive was relatively fast and by the time we got there, I was tired from the Xanax and I had to pee. Bad. I was supposed to drink 24oz of water, but knowing my body, I only drank 16oz. Naturally, when we arrived, they were running behind. Normally, I wouldn't care. But, my bladder cared. A lot. When it was finally our turn, the nurse did the u/s to look at how full my bladder was and told me to empty some because it was too full. I was never more thankful to use the restroom in my entire life! She explained what would happen and we just waited for the RE and other nurse to come in.

When our RE came in, he was all smiles and was giddy with how amazing our 6 remaining embryos were. We all even joked that we almost didn't belong in a fertility office. Thank you endo. He said that every time they looked at these little guys under the microscope, they were just amazing! He gave us a picture of the one that was chosen to be our baby this time and my eyes filled with tears. When I gave it to the hubs, he just stared and smiled. Isn't he/she beautiful:


The collection of cells on the right of the picture is the part that will form the baby. The rest is everything else. Cutest little thing ever, right?!

Everyone had on hairnets (probably not the technical term) and masks and footie thingys. Apparently, the secret room where they embryo had been living was quite clean and he/she was starting life as a clean freak...I'll have to work on that! The hubs came around by my head  and we were ready for one of the most beautiful moments of our life. After we all got set up, the embryologist passed the little embryo through the "magic" window in the wall to our RE and in he/she went. You could actually see it enter my uterus. Absolutely miraculous! And, because our RE is amazing, he said, "Replay!" and kept playing the video of the transfer over and over for us. He even printed a picture of the baby in my uterus for us. It is amazing. Just a little white speck. I never ever would wish infertility on a single person in my entire life. Ever. But, to witness this start of life that most parents don't get to witness was like a peek into a miracle. We are so blessed. Just as amazing, we have 5 more perfect embryos just like this that are now frozen and waiting to join our family some day. God is so amazing. There are no words for how amazing I feel that medicine has given us what I can't give myself.

After we were done, we were told that I was under no restrictions and to carry on with my Reactive Uterus meds (Xanax and ibuprofen...thank you again endo) and my dostinex to help keep OHSS mild. So, far, it's working. The doctor did warn us that once the embryo implants to expect the pregnancy hormone to make the OHSS symptoms worse. He said it will be like I have the flu for awhile. After waiting 9 years to make it to this point, I'll take the flu for awhile. I might regret saying that very soon. But, no bed rest after transfer...every RE has different ideas on this, but since mine has the highest success rate in the state at 60%, I'll assume he knows what he's talking about!

Oh, and I did ask a zillion times if the embryo will fall out. After being given lots of analogies for why this can't happen, I finally believe them! My favorite analogy is that it's like putting a grain of rice in a jar of peanut butter...yep. As we left the office, the nurse said, "Now, stay positive! You hear me, stay positive!" So, those were my only marching orders. They're hard ones because I am fully aware of the reality of IVF. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I thank God that we still have 5 frosties if we need them. But, I pray like a mad crazy woman that this is it!

After our transfer was over, the hubs took me to lunch. We were both so giddy because we had this secret that no one else in the entire place knew about. We also talked a little about religion. I haven't touched on it much here, but I'm Catholic. Knowing that we'd need to do IVF to conceive made me stop going to church quite awhile ago. I strongly disagree with a church telling a couple how they can conceive. For us, it isn't our first choice. We'd much rather go on vacation, rumble around in the sheets and voila! But, that isn't a possible plan for us. I don't believe for one minute that He wants us to suffer with infertility and that is why he allowed man to create ways for couples like us to get pregnant. The hubs, looking at the picture of our embryo during lunch, realizing what a miracle this is, knowing that two people who love each other are creating life, mentioned that the Catholic church is so wrong. I think we'll be church hunting now.

No comments:

Post a Comment