Wednesday, April 2, 2014

ER Day!

Let me start this off by saying that my experience with ER today is NOT typical. So, if you're reading for a more typical ER story, see my one from last Summer!

I was a nervous wreck today. I've never been nervous for any surgery or procedure since I have them so often, but I was a mess today. The anestheologist was late, so I had even longer to sit and think of all of the things that could go wrong. If I only knew then what I know now!

Once he finally got in my waiting room, I told him about my finicky veins. Of course, usually they  think I'm making this all up, as if I haven't had a zillion IV's in my life, but the only veins that will work are the blood takey veins. Not a real term? Well, it is now.

Mr. Tough Guy was certain he could get it in my hand. I explained that my hands are FULL of valves and he'd never be able to advance the IV catheter. Did he listen? No. He should have. Guess what? IV didn't advance. Imagine that. So, blood takey vein it was.

In the procedure room, Mr. Tough Guy ended up being a really cool guy. He said that he and his wife had cycled three times in this office and have twins, a singleton, an one on the way all starting in the same room I was in. Then, another nurse was telling her success story from the same room. Then, my all time favorite nurse gave me a huge hug and said, "I promise that IVF does work. This is it for you!" If I wasn't halfway out of it, I'd have cried right there.

The results: They drained 21 follicles, 13 of which had mature eggs. I'm very pleased with that number. My RE had to really play a numbers game this past weekend and decide if it was better to risk getting my E2 even higher than it already is just to mature the rest of the eggs or just call it a wrap and get the 13 that were being counted as mature on Monday out at ER. I'm very pleased with the decision to not wait because I felt horrible from the high E2 last time.

As soon as I woke up, things took a huge turn for the worse. The hubs was there, as well as my recovery nurse. As soon as they told me how many eggs they got, I realized how much pain I was in on my left side. That is the side that has really been bothering me this entire stimming period, as well as the fact that it's stuck to my abdomen wall. I was apparently given Tramadol in my IV before the anestheologist left, but it clearly wasn't doing anything. The hubs went down to the pharmacy to get my pain meds filled, but while he was gone, things got even worse. I started shaking from the pain and I was apparently moaning like a mad woman. Blood pressure was going crazy, as was my pulse rate.

The nurse attempted to get ahold of the anestheologist a few times to give me something else in my IV, but he was no where to be found. My RE's office is in a physician's building that is attached to a hospital and the anestheologist had already taken off to the hospital for the day. After 45 minutes of this horrid, stabbing pain, they finally decided to admit me to the PICU to get the pain under control.

I was moaning and groaning and my ass was probably hanging out of my gown for the entire world to see, or at least all of the waiting rooms I was wheeled through on a hospital bed, but I didn't give a flying fart. I was hoping they'd knock me out. Straight out. Instead, they had to get me put in the computer on their side of things. Sweet heavens people. Another 20 minutes later and I was finally given some Fentanyl and a vicodin.

Before I would finally be discharged, it took 5 doses of fentanyl, another vicodin, and an 800mg of ibuprofen to get me back to being able to be in the land of the living.

However, let me just say that these were the kindest nurses that I have ever had helping me. Ever. They were so sweet and understanding. Most importantly, they all knew that I had endo because my RE's nurse told them, and they took this very seriously. That made me feel like I knew I was in good hands and these ladies really did care for my well-being and helping me get out of this hellish pain.

Seriously, it was NOT what we expected. The last time, after I woke up, I took one of my pain pills and we headed home and slept it off. This cycle has been full of crazy twists and turns. I guess I like to keep things interesting?

On a really exciting note, by this point, our babies have been created. ICSI has been performed and the embryologist promised to only use the cute sperm so we'd have cute babies! Ha! I refuse to let reality hit me at this point and take me back down to the actual success of this happening. For now, I'm not in horrible pain, just uncomfortable, and I'm hopeful!

No comments:

Post a Comment